For you fly tiers I have a pattern for you to try…I have been out 3 times with this fly thus far and have had remarkable early success; the best part, it is an easy fly to tie.
What You Need To Tie The Civil War Streamer:
· Size #4 4xl streamer hook
· Marabou in shad gray color (tail)
· Blue flashabou (tail)
· Palmer Chenille; medium pearl gray (body)
· Uni stretch 1X thread in aqua blue (collar)
· Bead chain (silver, or gold)
How To Tie The Civil War Streamer:
· Start with a strand of gray marabou and tie in just above the barb of the hook
· Take 5 strands of blue flashabou and tie in with marabou and apply a small amount of head cement.
· Next, tie in a section of the gray chenille and palmer it forward to within a 1/8 inch from the bead chain (tied in for eyes and weight), whip finish and use head cement.
· Now tie in the uni stretch thread and wrap forward making a blue collar; make sure to put a couple wraps over the bead chain and the blue will aide in the blue/gray theme of this fly.
You can see how I tie the Civil War Streamer in the video …
I fish this under the surface, obviously, but it is most effective if you can get the fly to the level the fish are holding at. You will find this pattern to be excellent on bass….but a gem for crappie. So, have at it and make adjustments to the fly to match size, etc…
Share This Post with Your Friends ...
Welcome back to another video with FlyFishingWithJeff. You hear the term ‘match the hatch’ thrown around …. a lot. Mostly, it is used in dry fly fishing for trout and the many hatches of insects/bugs that come off each year. The match the hatch mindset can also be very effective when streamer fishing. In this […]
We’re having another YouTube Live Event on Sunday, March 21st at 7pm (EST). Tune in to my account (https://www.youtube.com/c/FlyFishingWithJeff) and I will once again discuss some relevant fly fishing topics and a variety of other interesting items. If you have a question that you think is viable and pertinent … and can be answered via […]
Let me start this off by saying I am NOT a professional fly tier … but over many years I have become proficient at several different streamers. Tying flies has without question made me a better fly fisherman … period! Putting the two arts together has allowed me to be a ‘deeper’ thinker while fly […]
Very seldom do I find a product that both makes sense and actually works like it is supposed to … The Knot Kneedle is just such a product. I was out in Missouri this past weekend and decided to fish the last hour of catch/release at Roaring River. I had already shot a video the […]